Thursday, November 17, 2016

The Wizard!



It’s a snowy day and I am bored. Shouldn’t be, mind you, because I am sitting here at my desk at work. I am looking out the window at the falling snow and I am filled with nostalgia for other, less snowy, times.

It’s easy to want to sit and surf the web on the last day of the work week. Today I stumbled on an article about Chicano Park in San Diego. Found out that the park was recently elevated to National Historical Monument status. How cool is that? Chicano Park was right down the way from 32nd Street, where the USS Blueridge, my home away from home as a young man, was moored. Thinking about that ship made me think of liberty call and the weekends I would spend back at my mom’s house. Those days were rare but when they came around they were always blessed with freedoms we never experienced on board ship. Ah, late sleep ins, no bunk racks, no navy chow! Now, grant it, going home had its hardships. too. I gave up my room to my younger brother when I went off to join the fleet, something that was to be expected. So, if I wanted any kind of privacy or peace went I went home I had to banish myself to the attic. Not as bad as it sound, no indeed. And it was especially fine after my first WESTPAC and the arrival of all my PI stereo gear. And the best thing about those weekend getaways? The paranoia free use of cannabis.

My mom was a 30’s era LA Chicana, an old school mota head. By the time I made my way into the service she knew better than to tell me not to smoke dope. But she still had to draw a line somewhere as far as use of it in the house was concerned. Hence the attic. Besides the privacy it did have a few, if limited, attractions. The floor was solid oak, leftover from the days when the attic was not any attic but the actual second story of the house.  It was dark, musty and riddled with old iron pipe jutting up through the floor. It was eerie at times, playing up there on cold winter nights as a boy, knowing that there was an open chimney hole to fall into. The space had no windows, only vents, which added to a funky sweat lodge feel during those hot SoCal summers.

I come from a long line of pack rats. My mom was a collector of antiques and such and used the attic space as a secondary storage space for all her swap meet stock. It turned the place into a strange, wacky and moody kind of carnival funhouse. An old Persian carpet, an assortment of tiffany lamps, a handful of wicker furniture and a smattering of old prints gave the place a very bohemian touch and added a certain San Francisco Haight Ashbury flair to the joint. A young guy couldn’t get much luckier than that. I had tried my hand at renting rooms on the weekends, and had spent many a day kicking around San Diego in search of fun and mischief, but going home was one step closer to a form of sanity I understood and I embraced it.

What truly made it a refuge was knowing I could bring home cannabis and not have to worry about hiding it. Sure, I had a locked stash box. And no, I wasn’t just going to leave it lying around when I headed back down south (as noted my mom liked her dope, too). But I didn’t have to stash my dope under a railway bridge or stuff it into someone’s hedge to have it in my life. I loved the comfort of having a stash of weed to come home to, but more, knowing I could add to it and build it up a bit over time. So, before too long buying weed became a routine: work the week away on board ship, line up a dealer for the weekend, make the score and then thumb my way home for a couple days of r and r.

Once I became the sultan of my space I had to have the proper accessories for enjoying my grass. I had a few glass and wood one-hitters, plenty of Zig Zag and Reezla rolling papers, but what I needed for long term pleasure and enjoyment was a proper bong. We had access to plenty of headshops along the coast and I took my time finding the right piece. I had always fancied a bamboo bong but couldn’t find one those. There were towering glass pieces, ones made from PVC, but my funky artsy sensibilities took over the search. Finally, at The Black in Ocean Beach, I found the bong of my dreams: The Wizard, designed and sculpted by Jim Rumph.  It was about 8 inches tall, cleverly done, solid, heavy and functional as all get out. I took it up north and proceeded to put it to work and it soon became the mainstay of my weekend soirees.

I had that wonderful bong for a number of years and kept it smoking through the early nineties. I have to think that Just Say No, pee tests and a less than enthusiastic wife put a stop to the fun. In the end, what happened to that guy is a mystery. I know for certain that he is long gone but apparently not forgotten, not by me or all the other folks out there who happened to get lucky and find a Rumph Wizard for themselves. What I love about the ‘net is that nothing stays hidden for long. I did a quick Google search this afternoon, typed wizard bong and up popped an image of my old joy. What was really crazy is that I was a collector of Jim Rumph’s work for a long time and didn’t know it. I had plenty of his whimsical tankards around, found them at second hands and swap meets, gave them away to all my friends for Christmas gifts and birthdays. Had no idea that those strange and sweet sculptures were from the same artist that gave me years of joy out of that bong.

It’s still snowing outside. The day is just about at a wrap. I may have a bit of a nostalgic thing going on right now for that old bong of mine but I know that swapping out of the gear is what we heads do, it just goes on and on. This coming week Green Supplies is having a Black Friday sale for the Firefly 2 vaporizer. Two hundred and seventy bucks, quite a nice savings. Things change. It may not be my old Rumph Wizard but I think I can squeeze a good ten years out of it. And it’s good looking, too!

Salud!


Jim Rumph's The Wizard!
http://www.therumph.com/showItem.php?item=173

No comments:

Post a Comment