Monday, January 23, 2017

The lure of the homemade!





What to do? Missed out the on the big Nature’s Herb birthday bash, went the make treats at home route instead. What’s a birthday without treats? This time I decided that instead of running down to the dispensary and taking advantage of their great deals that would just end up in my toy box anyway I would make a batch of cannabis infused olive oil and have a good time on the cheap. This time I feel my financial sense outweighed my cannabis jones and won.

I love how new hobbies have all these great new things to learn. Friday I blew off watching the inauguration and instead voiced my outrage by debarbing a bunch of old cannabis I brought along with me from NorCal. The process I used on Friday was fresh and interesting: instead of grinding down the mota and spreading it all over a baking pan I put the ground grass into half pint canning jars, screwed on the lids and popped them into a 220 oven for 60 minutes. The cannabis got brown but not overly toasted and the biggest plus was that the house did not reek of dope, always a good thing when you have a clause in the lease that forbids marijuana use on the premises!


The next part of the day’s inauguration festivities was heating some extra virgin olive oil I found on sale at King Soopers and pouring it over the cooled cannabis in the jars. After a slight sizzle the were loosely capped again and put into a bath of hot water where they rested on the stove and merrily simmered away for over 18 hours. The resulting slurry was drained over a cheesecloth covered mesh colander and rejarred for later use. All I have to say is thank goodness for gloves! The squeezing out of the oil infused dope would have sent me off to the moon. 4 oh zees of mota buds yielded just about 40 ounces of olive oil. Just touching a finger-tip of oil to my lips got me buzzed at work for three hours. Waa-hoo for home made!








That homemade thrill was also on hand on for the weekend, too. I made two batches of baklava for my birthday, something I had not made in a long while. My sweetie and I had been out and about shopping before the Christmas holiday and had haphazardly bought some supermarket baklava for the ride home. What a bust that store bought crap was! It was dry, crackly, stale and worst of all, made with corn syrup instead of honey. It was like biting into a strange dried out cereal bar instead of a sinfully lush, soggy middle eastern syrupy treat. So, with our hackles up we spent the morning of my birthday, New Year’s Eve, making baklava. One batch was the real deal, made for general consumption, the other was a cannabis butter soaked space shot of goodness. One we took with us up to Lyons for the big birthday celebration (went out to dinner, sipped some wine, crashed before midnight old fogey style), the other went untouched until this last weekend.

Wow. Layer after layer of butter soaked fila dough and nuts really does leave an impression on a guy. 

Before I got into it I passed along a couple of wedges of the treat to a friend of the family, with the somewhat sundry, underwhelming warning that it was “strong”. Freaking understatement. I was gifted an electronic kitchen scale for my birthday and decided to go all scientific with my dosage. I measured out a ten-gram bite and then measure that out: one tablespoon of baklava was ten grams. Broke that down in half and made that my dose for the day: one teaspoon. 5 grams of dessert. Just for science, just to see what that would get me.

Once again, wow. As I put it to my car load of family on the way into the city that afternoon: it was like seeing the smoke from an old coal burner ship way off on the horizon. Something was coming but what it was couldn’t be seen. It was there but it wasn’t. I was high but then again I wasn’t. A bit of THC slight of hand. This was at an hour. By the time the two-hour mark hit I was deep in the rushes and I still had four hours to go. That’s the thing about edibles. One must be patient. The nuance of the entourage effect of sipping flower from a vape pipe is gone. No terps to help guide you. In this case it was all about the bludgeoning power of high THC all on its own. No subtlety, no nuance, just the pure heart rush of a stone.

Treats, yes, wonderful. I had already made the investment on the mota, just couldn’t let it turn into dust, could I? And I couldn’t look at it as what I saved by not going to the dispensary that day because I had already laid in the herb and had to do something with it. Sort of like buying truffles. Can't let them go to waste, had to made something with that somewhat high priced cooking commodity. Boy, howdy, did I ever! Look forward to making another batch of butter, to making a Mexican chocolate coffee cheesecake. Usually those things are ridiculously rich and require only a slight wedge to be satisfied. I have a feeling that upcoming cheesecake will be a “one bite, I’m alright” kind of sweet.

Thank goodness I like to cook as much as I like to eat!


Salud!

No comments:

Post a Comment