Friday, October 6, 2017

Musical landscape of my life




Monday was tough enough. A long distance run to the end of the state and back. Radio is always mixed and spotty in-between Trinidad and Denver. I do my best, now that I am on the road most of the work week, to keep up with the times with NPR. The president's visit to Puerto Rico and the tragedy in Las Vegas dominated the news. It wasn't until I got home that my sweetness told me, as she cruised through her Facebook feed, that Tom Petty had passed away that afternoon.

My first reaction was "WHAT?" Rarely much of anything pulls me away from my reading that but information stopped me in my tracks. What was even more  unusual was that I didn't get up to scan the news on the internet. Everything came to a stand still. I was too stunned to do anything more than shut off my bedside light and go to sleep.

The next day I read what I could handle and began what has been a week long state of denial. It wasn't until this morning that I came across enclosed article and photo spread in the LA Times and finally came to accept the loss of Tom Petty, arguably the greatest rock and roll influence of my life.,

Sure, the Stones are up there, along with Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin and Nirvana. The Beatles, the Beach Boys, Joan Jett, Isley Brothers, Queen, BB King, David Bowie, Blondie, the B-52s all colored the musical soundscape of my life, too, but it was Tom Petty, solo and with the Heartbreakers, that consistently showed up just when I needed him most.

I first heard American Girl in the data processing shop on board the Blueridge. That sound of his was infectious and that cassette, along with Damn the Torpedoes, went into heavy rotation wherever we went. The Heartbreakers followed me home from the service and have been a constant part of the soundtrack of my life. Many events, from tamale parties to acid trips to throwing my father's ashes onto the Mojave sands, were colored by his songs. Free Fallin' is a background song right now as everyone seems to be playing it in remembrance, but for me, when I hear it, it takes me back to my Aunt Mary Jo's little back yard house in Burbank. I stayed there the night before I headed off into the desert with my father's remains. Some of the us had gone out on his boat earlier in the day, spread half of his ash on the slight swell of the Pacific. That evening, after copious beers, I caught Tom's video on tv, thought it great and poignant. With my father gone, a new baby to learn about, a girlfriend who always seemed to be in flight and a new position in a far away city to deal with I felt my life was in a state of free falling, too.

Years later all is well as I am as happy as a man could be. Then comes the events of the week. And the passing of Tom. Read the articles posted below to catch the flavor of a man who just came off a long six month tour. Take a look at the photos to see a man very much, very vibrantly, alive.

Life is short. Embrace the moment. Be sure to love.

And thanks, Tom, for all the good sounds. You will be missed.

Salud!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-tom-petty-the-final-interview-20171004-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/visuals/photography/la-me-genaro-molina-tom-petty-20171004-htmlstory.html

No comments:

Post a Comment