Wednesday, July 21, 2021

The return of Senior Mota Man



 Boy oh boy, has it been a long time, or what? When I was here last I was in the midst of a good time in the cannabis industry. Now I am in Southern Oregon, working in the wine trade as a Wine Ambassador. What the heck happened? I feel a bit like Rip Van Winkle, when he woke up and found his gun gone green and his dog dead. Where did the time go? What happened in those intervening years?

Well, my time in the cannabis world went well, for what it was worth. I loved the work, loved the travel around the state of Colorado. The commute back and forth to work was hell, wore that old Buick of mine out, but the ride that Skinny Pineapple provided, a Subaru Forester, was great and got me out of trouble many times. The job at Skinny, while fun, was still not the one of my dreams, so I kept up with applications to my old profession, library work, just to keep the mujuer happy. She absolutely hated that I was in the weed business, that I brought home more samples than I could afford. Hell, can't blame her there, but I always looked at those purchases as part of the cost of an education. Couldn't talk to customers and fellow mota distributors without knowing what was out there.

One thing led to another. I went from being a courier to working with Airopro, the company behind the oil we manufactured in Boulder. I was a Brand Ambassador for a short stint. What can I say, I am no salesman. Plus I had to pay to play. Had to use my car, my phone, my time and miles to make things happen. And while the money was good I was only a contract player. No paid vacations, no holidays, no medical insurance. I did take a nice trip around the state towards the end of my time with the company. Got to stay in the Cheech and Chong room at a cannabis friendly motel in Trinidad, left my map book behind in Dinosaur, sat and listened to elk bellow up against the sky in the Rockies. It was all good when I look at it that way. But I was dismissed because, well, somethings just don't work out.

I went back to being a courier and a part time edibles packager for Blue Kudu and got to know and love Denver thanks to that job. But life being what it is I finally landed a professional slot in Medford, Oregon. I packed the Buick with goods, leaving everything behind, including the woman, thinking it would all follow me to the coast. But life had other things in mind. Who ever thought that something like a pandemic would derail a life and the plans that we pack into that life?

Thanks to that new job I got to rediscover the weed of my younger days. I wrote a post about my adventures when, as a sailor, we anchored in Portland. Back then I had the chance to buy some weed from some college kids in Eugene. I am thinking, now that I have had the chance to really dive into weed from around here, that I was in possession of some Southern Oregon sungrown back then. I have really enjoyed the grass from around here. After being in Colorado and partaking in so much indoor goodness, it feels great to be able to walk into a dispensary and find so much good outdoor grown cannabis. Cannabis and hemp products, too. Love my CBD!

I have found, to my relief and to my delight, that Rick Simpson Oil type products abound here. I discovered two great product lines from two producers, OM and Rebel Roots, that really rock my world. Oil is very effective, strong and long lasting. I had to take a long break from cannabis, since February as a matter as fact, due to job searching, but I hope to find my way back to those oils, edibles and flower that I have found to be so rich and rewarding here.

Being in the wine trade has been a gas, much more on my feet and fun than the work I was doing in the library profession. I have no idea if I will be going back that way again. I passed on a job in Silt, Colorado, a place I knew well thanks to the many oil deliveries I made out that way. Whatever it is I do in the future it can't be for nostalgia. Lord knows it doesn't have to be for weed. I just let go of a Sampler position, a full time job that would have had me doing lab work in the cannabis trade. Looking back I know that I should have taken it, but with Social Security and tips I can make it in the wine world. And still have funds enough to keep dabbling in the local weed scene.

I am waiting for the State of Oregon to get back to me in regards to my cannabis permit. I took the test and passed 100%. I think that the tips that dispensary workers make here will help to round out my budget, should I get a local job in a dispensary. Senior Mota Man has risen again. More stories later on the local weed scene, as I must tell you about the Panama flower I bought the other day. A hybrid of Colombian Gold and Panama Red. Should be a delight!

Salud!

1 comment: