Friday, September 9, 2016

Beyond the buzz!



Dear Budtenders,

Please, just don’t call me “cranky".

And this note doesn't apply to all of you. Some of you out there are truly lighting up the world with your knowledge and passion for cannabis. But some of you dispensary folks really need to listen to this. Sit a spell and check out what I have to say:

First, I might just want to blame this rant on longevity in the saddle: I have been having providing top notch customer service to the public for far too long and I just know a good thing when I see it done right. Maybe it’s the “customer is always right” line of thinking that has been drilled into my head over the years, something that I feel passionate about, both on the floor both as a consumer as well as an employee. Maybe it’s because I have been a cannabis aficionado for so many years and love the plant just as much as you do. Maybe I just I know my stuff and have my preferences tuned into my desires and limitations. I believe all those things can really make or break a shopping experience, no maybes about it.

It could be that I am an older user who does not fit the youthful cannabis user stereotype that you would rather deal with. Maybe it's like that line about how guys over 50 are invisible to younger women. But it goes beyond men/women relationships but more how older users, older partakers in cannabis are seen or heard whenever they walk into a pot shop. We are not invisible, we are not just wallets but folks who really are excited, interested, curious about or somewhat nervous about participating in cannabis culture.

Now, because I am over 50 I am not expecting deference or special service. I am ambulatory, can hear and see just fine and know my way around a dispensary.

And may I say just one more thing: this is not a universal, but more a statement on the seasons of man and how we old guys sometimes get treated when we “invade” and cross over into the citadels of youth culture.

Let’s cut to the chase. What I am talking about here is providing good customer service to the white haired set. What I am asking for, from all my youthful budtenders and cannabis shop managers, is just to be aware that when you talk to us that we are not your bros and that we will never be your bros, and hey, that's okay. What we want when we come into your shop is to be taken seriously as a customer and to be treated courteously when we talk to you about marijuana.

When I come into a rec shop these days it really is a kid in a candy store kind of moment. Maybe it’s just me but I do come in excited. Passion is a funny thing. I get amped up and happy whenever I get into something big and right now old 70’s speakers and cannabis are my jones. So whenever I go into a shop, new or well tried, I go in with a sense of purpose (all that research!) and with a sense of joy and excitement. I really feel it is all about the sense of play I bring with me that sometimes annoys you. Please don’t be jaded, be excited, too! It really is a grand thing you are doing and I appreciate it!

I know, I know, whenever I come in you see another potential customer. You have sales goals, product to unload, new goods to share and market and tips to make. But please understand that we older users are not always as new or as inexperienced as you might think. We may be sometimes overwhelmed by the incredible array of products and devices in front of us but quite a few of us have been around this track before, even if that track way back when was paved with Mexican brick weed and Rizla rolling papers.

I really do like what is happening in the legal marijuana market. I love going into a rec shop the way I used to walk into winery tasting rooms on the coast. I love being able to sniff the flowers, talk about oils, look to see what kinds of edibles are on the shelves, check out the latest CBD ointments and tinctures. I love to go into a glass shop and oogle at the bongs, the bats and the wild assortment of artisan pipes for sale. I thrill knowing that I can research dispensaries on Leafly and find cool places to buy pot anywhere along the road here in Colorado.

Now, I know you love your dope. So do I. So what I would like more than anything is for you, my dear budtender, to treat me less like an old guy and more like an interested colleague. Treat me like you would anyone else you meet who might be interested in the world of cannabis you participate in. Not in a “I smoke dope to get f*cked up” kind of mindset but rather as someone who is very lucky to be in a business that is really changing the world. You have the answers to so many questions, share them, but more, just don’t be a shit about it!

I have been in the trenches with cannabis for a long time. It is SO cool to be able to partake freely, buy openly, smoke without paranoia or fear. I just want you to know that good customer service is critical here on the Front Range. There are plenty of places these days where I can go and be treated well and my knowledge, background and age will not be looked down upon.

Want to be a success in the cannabis trade? Really want to rise above that minimum wage and tips you struggle with? Want to get a real buzz? Go beyond the pot shop skill set and go out and take some customer service and leadership classes. Find out what your customers really want when they come in your doors.

But more, get beyond the bro mindset and really take a hard look at the product you are selling. It is a life changer. Be one, too.


Salud! 

No comments:

Post a Comment