Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Sessionable cannabis!


"Geeking out for new strains", indeed!

Until I started researching information for this blog piece I completely overlooked how much I love beer. Here I write my heart out about my passion for cannabis but my first true gateway drug was a can of Coors beer. I don’t know how old I was exactly when I popped the top of that 8 ounce can. It was summer time and I was at a party at my aunt’s house. They lived directly under the jet path to the Burbank airport. It was a post-war home, they had big trees in the back yard and best of all that night the neighbors had a barbeque going on, too.

I have no idea why my tia and my abuelita were game to give me a beer that night but I will chalk it up to being in the spirit of the evening. Nice sized crowd, a lot of family, a safe environment. Safe until I decided to climb the garage so I could see over the fence into the adjoining yard, just so I could check out what the neighbors had going on. I suppose that bit of lunacy could be attributed to the loosing up of my psyche while under the influence of an intoxicant. I would rather just say that my young brain completely dug the effects of that small beer. I got an earful for climbing up on that garage but I learned right then and there that there was a whole different kind of fun awaiting me out there and I just had to get a bit older to find it.

Now, these days I don’t climb up on garages when I have a cold one, no more so than I would when I pack and fire up a bowl. No, I think of myself as a mellow sort of guy. I like to take things slow and easy. When I drink beer with friends I like to be able to talk and eat, enjoy myself, not stumble around, black out or say things that I might regret later. I only recently stumble on the word "sessionable” and I absolutely love it as it applies to beer drinking. I like the idea of being able to go low and slow, to have a drink in my hand all afternoon or evening and be able to walk away from the fray. I like to drink beer and want to have a good time with it. I like my beer tasty but simple. The same applies to my cannabis.

Somehow I have this impression that “back in the day” cannabis was a more sessionable plant. This could be why right now I have such a fascination for the landrace strains. They were basic, direct and to the point as far as their high was concerned. I pretty much knew what to expect, what kind of high I was going to get when I fired up a joint of Colombian or Mexican Gold. Get you high was what those old time sativas were wont to do, and I and my friends (you just didn’t smoke alone in those days), thanks to their moderate THC levels, would be able to keep on rolling and puffing all night long, and, at the end of it all, if we hadn’t munched ourselves into a stupor, could get up and go home with only a slight bit of impairment.

This is not to say that we didn’t get our world rocked when we sparked up. We got high, we just didn’t get our clocks cleaned out like we do now. We had a good time, we laughed, we ate, we watched movies, we were social, just the way I am when I have friends over and indulge in a good sessionable beer. I had to take a look at that word online and wow, what a stream of articles came out of that search! So, not wanting to keep it to myself I wanted to share with you my bounty of links. Some will be for session beer, some will be for cannabis beer, some are leads for brewers here in Colorado that make ABV 5.0 or less beer and others will give you a beer-focused view on the extremes folks are going to in that field just to be novel.

I think novelty is grand but what I really love are the basic application of simple things. A good crisp apple, a strong black cup of French pressed coffee, a plain doughnut with just a hint of nutmeg, a burger with cheese, onions and touch of sauce. I like my Hawaiian shirts wild, my music loud and my movies anytime, day or night, but when I deal with those things I like to work within the parameters of my preferences. When it comes to beer and weed I like them simple, close to the source and sociable. Couch lock? A stumbling beer blow out? Yeah, a time and place for then, too, but on the most part I want to be out and about, feel good about my vices and be able share them with you.

So, let’s fire up the bbq, fill the cooler with a good quality session beer and roll up a doobie. Get comfortable, we got all night.


Salud!

Oh, so many things to read!

https://www.leafly.com/news/food-travel-sex/beer-cannabis-pairing-guide/

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dudes-brews-to-release-worlds-first-line-of-high-cbd-cannabis-infused-craft-beer-300131016.html

http://buddingfortcollins.com/welcome-world-marijuana-infused-beer/

http://www.thecannabist.co/2015/01/26/oskar-blues-beer-pinner-marijuana/28560/

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drink/2013/05/hoppy_beer_is_awful_or_at_least_its_bitterness_is_ruining_craft_beer_s_reputation.html

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/craft-beer-is-dead-gose-ruined-craft-beer

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/13/denver-beer-scene-through-german-eyes/

http://www.dcbeer.com/news/session-vs-sessionable-refining-dialogue-not-getting-slizzered

https://www.beeradvocate.com/articles/653/

http://www.denverpost.com/2014/07/14/session-beers-for-when-youre-having-more-than-one/

No comments:

Post a Comment